Thread: TOC
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: TOC

[ QUOTE ]

2. the sponsor exemptions were still a huge joke and could have cost people like Brandon, David Levi (a great guy as Brandon said) and even myself a shot at bigger money and more exposure. All it did was give Hellmuth more of a chance to whine on TV...I really hate him as a top representative of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like money, and the success of poker, I don't understand why you would have a problem with the exemptions OR Hellmuth's act. The exemptions brought 3 of the big names of poker in - how many more people watched because these 3 were in the field? How much more sponsorship money did ESPN receive? How many people love watch Hellmuth, and stayed tuned in because of him? Bringing in the fringe audience is vital to the continued success and marketability of TV poker. Am I incorrect that TOC was basically a freeroll? The prize money and fees of production are all partially paid by the money and ratings that 'big stars' draw to the event. And considering it was 3 additions who are all great players out of a field of 100 - I see it as a worthy addition.
Specifically concerning Hellmuth being a rep of poker - the fact is that many people find him entertaining and tune in just to see him. A lot of these casual fans also find their way online or to the local card room and replenish the fish pond. How is this a bad thing? We have several 'gentlemen' of poker like Greenstein, Doyle, Raymer etc - but the 'bad boys' are equally good for the state of the game.