View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: The simple answer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about you just don't drink and drive, [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "it's possible to drink socially without impairing your driving ability," "[censored]?"

Milo, have you ever had an alcoholic beverage? Were you automatically smashed after drinking one?

How about two?

If you know your limit, and you are below it, why should you have to jump through legal hoops just to get home at 2 in the morning when there are barely any cars out without having your license suspended?

No need to insult me. Yeah, I've driven with more than 1 beer in me, but I drive better at 0.07999999 BAC than most South Floridians drive at 0.00. If you've ever driven here, you'll know that this applies to most people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would be impaired after one or two drinks. Most people would not.

If you get pulled over and have had only two, then all you will need to do is pass the breath test and the field sobriety tests. If you can, then there's no reason to have to figure out what to tell the cop. If you can't then you deserve to go to jail.

The problem is, studies of drinking and driving show that people grossly underestimate their level of impairment, and grossly overestimate how much they drink and still drive safely. People also underestimate how much they have been drinking. Many of those who say "two beers, officer," truly believe it, even when a breath/blood test clearly demonstrates they have had many more.

Bottom line, alcohol impairs judgment. Left to make the decision on your own, one of three things will be happen:
1) You will be non-impaired, and will be safe to drive, therefore you will correctly judge yourself safe; or

2) You will be impaired and unsafe to drive, will recognize this and not drive; or

3) You will be impaired, and since judgment (part of executive function, the first brain activity to be impacted by alcohol) is also impaired, you will incorrectly judge yourself to be non-impaired and will drive.

We are now back to my simple answer.