View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Trips versus Two Tone flop -- puzzled

First of all, if you're routinely losing money with set vs. flush draw, either

(1) you don't have a big enough sample and are running bad (my guess) or

(2) you're calling too many big bets after the flush hits and paying off flushes, giving them outrageous implied odds.

How big a sample are we talking?

[ QUOTE ]
I know, in some of these instances, they had other outs as well, perhaps they had TPTK, 2 pair etc., but I am really wondering what can be done to disuade the 10-2 suited drawers from taking such bold chances?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big problem in your thinking. (I'm new to NLHE so others should correct me as needed, but based on GSIH and Harrington I'm pretty sure i'm right.) You want flush draws to gamble, provided they're paying too much to do so.

Sometimes they hit. More often they don't. When they don't, if they're getting poor odds, they'll pay off more than they'll win when they hit.

If you're pushing all-in and people call with a draw, that's GREAT! If they hit, there's nothing more for them to win. When they don't hit, you double off. Unless they have a 50%+ draw (straight flush draw with two overcards, for example, with two cards to come) you'll make money by their calls. You couldn't ask for a better result.

If you knew they wouldn't call all your stack but would call 60% of your stack, that's what you should bet. Whatever the maximum is you think they'll call incorrectly, that's what you want to bet.