View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 07:38 AM

Default RESULTS and discussion

Here's my thought process on this hand.

First of all, I doubt that he's putting me on a 9 (at least on the turn). If I had a pair of 9's, why would I bet the turn? I'm quite certain that betting with a turned 9 is far worse than check-calling. I think he knows that too.

If I'm betting the turn, there are four things he should be putting me on:

(a) a 3
(b) a spade draw
(c) A high
(d) a K

Still, the turn bet on my part is very weird and I did it specifically to throw him off-balance. It's a completely unexpected move. But when he calls, he's got something:

(a) Maybe it's a 3 (though pretty unlikely since I can't think of him limping with any hand UTG+1 that has a 3 unless it's A3s, and even then it's unlikely).

(b) It may be that he was just taking a stab on the flop and happened to have turned a 9.

(c) It may be a better K that he's now trapping me with (or perhaps he himself is afraid of a bigger K).

(d) It may be a pocket pair 66 or less.

(e) And it may be a spade draw.

But now with the K coming on the river, take a look at his range of hands. This guy is aggressive, my river check will indicate to him that I was just trying to steal it on the turn, so he'll either make what he thinks is a value bet (with what is in that case almost certainly a small pocket pair) or take one last stab at it with his missed spade draw.

So I thought I could actually check-raise someone like him.

I checked, he bet, I raised, and he instamucked. So we'll never know what he had, but my guess is that it's either a small pocket pair or a spade draw. My guess also is that he was pretty pissed.