View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: How important is math in poker?

[ QUOTE ]
Not that important - And here is why;
When you have learned the basics the mathematics isnt that important after all. It is of much more importance to know how to play a hand than to know WHY it should be played in a certain way...

I play 30 60 fixed limit and 3 6 no limit and I RARELY think about math. The only thing I keep in mind while playing are the odds for specific hands probability to hit(aprox)when not being on a draw - and how much I can get paid if I hit When I draw.

That reasoning leads into what I believe is the main part of a good poker game - Psychology...

In other words: If i hit my draw how much will that specific person be willing to pay me - AND - will that justify me calling (raising for foldequity etc etc)??

This applies much more to no limit than limit though.

I am also aware of that everything comes down to mathematics, but as I use to say; You do not need to be a atom physicist to become a good tennis player...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but if this is your way of saying you feel psychology is more important than math I think that's very funny.