View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: How James Woods Helped Me Collect My Thoughts on Morality.

There are also many people that match BluffThis definition of evil and construct moral believe systems to justify thier actions. Perhaps they even trick themselves after awhile. Consider, maybe Osama Bin Laden may not actually believe anything he says. Maybe he is just suffering from existential angst and his Jihad gives him a sense of meaning. The way doing charity work might bring purpose to someones life Jihad may do the same for him. I don't know. However, killing thousands so that you feel good about yourself and have a sense of purpose could be just as "evil" via BluffThis explanation.

Morals, good, and evil are human creations. Each individual can therefore decide for himself what he considers "evil". In my own framework, I don't think the fact that Hitler had good intentions matters in terms of wether or not he was evil. What matters is what he was trying to do and how he did it. Those things will, now and forever, remain evil. Just as Osama will forever be evil even if we consider his intentions pure (disregarding the idea posited in paragraph one).