View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Do you limp first in shorthanded? Why?

I use game theory to limp first in. For AA and KK, they must come club-diamond to limp 1 out of 12 times. QQ, two red or one red queen and the queen of clubs, is raised 50% of the time. JJ is raised only when the jack of clubs is the first card. I tend to limp with all other pocket pairs but will raise on club-diamonds for 84% of the time limping.

ATs or higher, I will limp with the suit-of-the-day (25%) if the game is too tight. Likewise with AK, sometimes AQ and AJ, when the ace is the suit-of-the-day ace.

From my experiences, the frequency of limping with pocket pairs works well in all short-handed games. Limping with other hands when game theory is not needed can bring lots of trouble. So, when is game theory needed? Game theory in this sense is used to trap opponents. If my opponents do well enough setting their own traps to fall into, my strategy is never invoked.

I am considering adding marginal hands to my arsenal such as A-little suited and small pairs. I will probably use the suit-of-the-day to decide to play them and alternate raising and limping with them. I feel that I need to add this dimension to my game to have a better effect on the traps that I set.