View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Small Pocket Pairs in the blinds (theory discussion)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mercman,

I know the 5-10 rule... I have been using it until now - I just wonder whether it works out of position as well... It just seems to me that it's real hard to stack someone with a set when OOP... so what percentage of the stack would you call? 5%? or less?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not hard to stack someone out of position, sets aren't exactly the kind of hand you should have problems playing oop. Just bet into him and all that stuff you probably allready know

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then you're shaky on the use your judgement part. Yes out of position (as I originally posted) I will not call more than 5% if they are a loose raisor or if they are weaktight.

And yes, it is quite hard to stack a decent play out of position with a set, here's why. A standard PFR of 4BB and call gives you 8BB in the pot. A PSB of 8 puts 24BB in the pot. Typically you bet 2/3 on a non draw type turn, so that puts (16 bet and call) 56BB in the river. Most river bets are for 1/2-2/3 pot for value if you want them to be called. That's still not 100BB and that's still not +EV. That's assuming you just bet and are called on a non draw heavy board, although there are other lines and draw heavy boards, there are also the times the villain folds to your first bet to factor in as well. So out of position I recommenend no more than a 5BB call unless you have some sort of read on the player. If you are against someone thatoverplays one pair that is obviously different, but I am talking about a semi-decent player.