View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Discounting Outs

IMO, I think the advice here is terrible. I don't think the advice you should have folded PF, but since you didn't you should call/push is sound advice. IMHO, it's atrocious.

I think your complete of the 45 suited is a fine call PF. If you flop a monster, or complete a straight (especially if the 45 is the middle), you will be rewarded handsomely. And perhaps, the flush could pay off.

The mistake is that you haven't defined your post flop strategy yet. It is important that you have a post flop strategy before you make these kinds of calls. So define your postflop strategy.

You have a straight draw. You have a small card flush draw. That's what you have. What is the best strategy post flop to play this hand? First, if you can ride an open-ended straght draw for cheap, implied odds suggest that you will be paid handsomely over the long run - as it is most likely not seen, especially in low limit SNGs. Second, you need to be wary of a better flush draw.

In this specific example, your PF call is fine. With so much action on the flop, you can assume someone has a better flush draw. I think you could also assume someone has KKs or AAs or someone hit a set. Essentially, I think it's safe to assume that it's unsafe to play here.

Either way, I think in SNG play, the best post flop strategy given your set of circumstances is to avoid a lot of action and fold.

Be wary of the bad advice, Scuba