View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Internet account security interview with Lee Jones

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Lee:

Why can't people grasp the concept of secure password creation? Why do they keep the same passwords for years? Can you really protect the people who suck at the internet?

Love,
smoore

[/ QUOTE ]

Please describe what you are referring to. Don't sites like Party and Eurobet make it hard to crack someone's code in that you have to enter the account ID + password, where the account ID is not the same as your screenname?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but this stuff isn't exactly rocket surgery. If I can see your computer, I can probably get your username. If I can then find out some off-the-wall password (your 2+2 password, your webmail password) that's stored somewhere on your computer I can try it and others a couple times to get into some more secure accounts. Now I have your ass.

Bottom line? Make money passwords unique. Make each one unique. Make your neteller|firepay|whatever the most unique of them all.

Most people that get "hacked" have poor passwords and almost no idea of internet security. I was just a smartass about saying that.

edit: don't store these passwords electronically, ever. write them down on a slip of paper and put them in your wallet. consider the fact that you are carrying around the key to your *entire* bankroll in your wallet. guard it with your life... or at least guard it with the time it would take you to go change those passwords... don't give up your life if you think you could make that change.