View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Playing small aces - the bane of NL Hold\'em.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate these cards, and fold them almost every time I get them - even if folded to me in the big blind in a six max game (if sooooted, maybe I try to take a cheap flop, or I might try a steal from the button or small blind - but that's about it).

Three examples of me being in the Big Blind recently:

1) Ace Two offsuit (called a minraise preflop from a major LAG at the table). Flop comes with an ace and a king, LAG bets 1/4 pot, I call. Turn is a two - I bet pot, LAG min-raises, the money goes in, river is a blank, LAG turns over Ace King (he actually had a hand this time - doh!).

2) Ace four offuit. Flop comes 2, 3, 5. I bet pot, get min-raised by the button, the money goes in, and the button turns over 6,4 offsuit.

3) Ace 5 offsuit, flop comes 3, 4, 5. I bet pot, and get called by only the small blind (V$IP 72%, PFR 0% - i.e., nut peddler). Turn is a 3 and small blind bets pot - I call like a donkey assuming he has only trip threes but praying for the 2 or a five - knowing that even those cards might not be good (although thinking that the implied odds might be pretty good if I did hit my two since I doubt he could lay down the trips). The river is the "glorius" 2 giving me the wheel. I decide to push trying to make it look like a steal (moronic). SB calls and turns over 2,3.

Moral of the story - DON'T PLAY SMALL ACES. And if you have to, don't play them like a donk and get stacked with wheel straights or two pair.

Has anyone in here had any success playing small aces (other than the guy who called my all-in boat with fours full of twos earlier tonight and hit his two outer ace on the river for a higher boat)? If you have success, I would be curious as to what strategies you use.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll raise them suited a lot (6max) and I'll open-raise any ace from the button.