View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Cyberthiefs stole $65000 from Party poker player.

Since it is in swedish I'll have to translate.

"The poker pro lost his username - and $65 000. The cyber thieves stole his password to the account at PartyPoker.

When the swedish poker pro Mats Rahm managed to get access again the account had been emptied of over $65 000 (probably not true, but portions of it was lost).
- I don't know what will happen now, he says.

When Mats Rahm, from Vällingby outside Stockholm tried to log in on the site of Partypoker.com it didn't work at all. Wrong password was the reply he got. Same thing when he tried to access his hotmail-account.

The reason for the technical problems was worse than Mats Rahm could imagine. Someone had hacked into his mail account and thereby were able to get access to the password for his poker account. It was emptied of $65 000.

- This is stealing. And it was very well timed. I was in Tallin for four days to play the Pokermillion (a swedish competition). and didn't have access to my account from there.

If he will get his money back again is no clear. The thieves had managed to gamble away a big amount in the meantime.

- I don't know what will happen now. A manager from PartyPoker will call me later tonight and we will see. The thieves have played away a chunk of the money. A friend of mine saw my username in action and said they played like maniacs.

Mats Rahm is dissapointed in PartyPokers action - and warns other users of using hotmail.

- Why doesn't any warning bells from the company ring? The thieves change password, logs in from the other side of the world and transfers the maximum $8 000 to other accounts and withdraws at once. Anyone could understand something is not right. Hotmail? I will never use it again.

The issue is now dealt with at the top level of Partypoker, who are listed on the London stock exchange.

Sportbladet (the newspaper) have failed to reach representatives for the company for comments"