View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Would you kill a man who\'s robbing you? (long)

[ QUOTE ]
in texas i think you may have been charged. there was a somewhat similiar case here in austin about 10 years ago and the woman was convicted (although i forget the exact offense).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember Big Steve's case, but the requirements for using deadly force in Texas are about as favorable to the victim as any state. It is legal to use deadly force to prevent theft as well as bodily harm, and if someone is in your home. In other words, you can shoot people who need shootin'. I paraphrase below.

Deadly Force- It is a defense to prosecution that the conduct in question is justified under this chapter.

* § 9.21. Public Duty.
* § 9.22. Necessity.
* § 9.31. Self-Defense.
* § 9.32. Deadly Force In Defense Of Person.
* 9.33. Defense Of Third Person.
* § 9.34. Protection Of Life Or Health.
* § 9.41. Protection Of One's Own Property.
* § 9.42. Deadly Force To Protect Property.
* § 9.43. Protection Of Third Person's Property.
* § 9.44. Use Of Device To Protect Property

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/pe.toc.htm

As a response to the OP, yes I would shoot someone who threatened me with a knife in my bedroom unless he surrendered immediately upon seeing my gun. Once the guy leaves, [censored] it, I grab my gun and make sure he left. Im not leaving my house to chase a criminal and I'm not shooting anyone running away with my stuff.

Bottom line, shooting a guy who is robbing you in your room at knifepoint is a good shoot. Be happy it didn't escalate and this guy wasn't psycho. Shooting someone to defend yourself will probably ruin your life, at least financially, possibly psychologically as well. Expect to get sued civilly and possibly prosecuted. If you do have a gun in your room for a situation like this, know your laws, and get some training.

Also, all of this shooting to wound / warning shots is hollywood crap.