View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 11:50 AM

Default 5-5 Hand from Harrah\'s New Orleans

My strategy in sitting at this table was two-fold. First, to avoid the two very good players at the table, which I did successfully. Second, to isolate the player on my immediate right, who I quickly deduced was the worst player I had ever seen at stakes above $3-$6 limit. Oh, and he happened to have $4k in front of him.

All was going to plan until the following hand:

The terrible player had not folded pre-flop in the 2.5 hours (instead raising to $15 every hand) I was at the table and had gone to the river 85% of the time.

I was on the button with 97s. Four limpers to Mr. $15, who raises on cue. I call, the blinds call, and the limpers call. Based upon my limited information, the limpers are somewhat loose and passive.

The flop comes Ad 9d 7s. I have clubs. The small blind checks, the big blind bets $90, three callers (including Mr. $15) to me. I make it $500 to go. After the raise, I have ~$1500, Mr. $15 has ~$950 left, and calling my raise will put the other three players all-in or virtually all-in. Is this raise a mistake?

The three players go all-in to call. Now Mr. $15 limp-reraises his last $450. Mr. $15 has shown some aggression in betting, but has not done anything that might be deemed a sophisticated play. From watching him play, you are not always sure if he knows what his hand is. Is the pot too big to fold or do you figure you are toast?