View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Theory (possible SSH mistake) on flop/turn bets and not giving odd

You are correct, you are forcing the guy with a gutshot to make a mistake in this example. But it only works if you are certain the TAG will raise. If he doesn't raise, then the fish is getting about the right price.

The good thing about facing someone with two bets cold is that they can either fold, giving up their equity, or make an unprofitable call. You usually don't really mind either way. When you bet, hoping the button will raise, he can raise according to plan, or he can fold or call which don't help you all that much.

As far as waiting for the turn, it's been a while since I've read the book, but I'm pretty sure it advocates it in these two spots:

1. When the pot is large enough on the flop that a flop raise still gives people good odds

2. When a safe turn card would substantially increase your equity.

Basically, you're asking about inducing people to make a mistake on a street by calling large bets in increments. The thing about this plan is that it usually does not have much folding equity and it can go wrong if the person does not raise. I would only do it if I had a lot of equity and the pot was small.

I like betting out here, because it sets up a flop 3bet or a turn checkraise.