View Single Post
Old 03-12-2003, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Stu Ungar movie?

"To put people like that in the same category of someone who contracts a terminel illness is crazy"

Al your a college graduate and I can't believe you penned this.
Do you think people intentionally do this because they want to ruin themselves and everyone else aroud them. Drug addiction is a serious issue. However, the taking of the drug is not the illness it is just a symptom of the problem.

Obviously you are fortunate enough to have never suffered from a chemical addiction. Its also apparent that you have done nothing to educate yourself on the topic either. You don't think it's a terminal illness? Terminal illness is defined as one from which there is no recovery. There is no recovery from a chemical addiction. Once an addict always addict whether clean or not.

Free choice to take the first hit or whatever? I agree. After that the whole game changes. If it was just a matter of stopping it would be so darn easy. I mean eventually everyone has to sleep so in effect they have stopped right there. Problem solved from that simplistic view.

Am I defending Stu? No. Addicts cause terrific amounts of pain to those around them. They hurt most the ones who love them. Interested in seeing the movie though. See if the filmakers can make the audience experience the emotional highs and lows that a person like Stu surely must have gone through.

Don't mean to rag you Al but your view on drug addiction seems to be very narrow.