View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Limit holdem books- playing overcards.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that for the 'obvious' situations MLH gives correct answers but it's wrong on a lot of the close ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in dealing with a marginal situation it is most often better to make a mistake by folding than making a mistake by calling. Typically, we are talking about the early streets of multiway pots here where the possibility of making your hand and still being behind or being outdrawn (given aparticular cited board) tends to make what might be a close call into a fold.
I'm not saying this book is the end all, but I have seen some pretty poor books and articles that fail to take in all the factors when making these decisions. If what you say is true regarding the authors merely being right in the obvious situations, then most 10/20 limit players I have faced online DO NOT make these obvious folds.
Enough can't be said about the power of actual played hands being critiqued. This is a great learning tool, and whether you agree with their decision or not, ity does force you to attempt to see WHY you think they are wrong. Highly recommended.