View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: The Official OOT Cookbook.

UncleSalty's Soon to be Famous Red Hot Chili
1/2 C each: Black Beans, Pinto Beans, Kidney or Small Red Beans (Or 1.5C of any beans you choose) Alternatively, use 2-3 small cans of any beans you like.
1.5 large or 2 medium yellow onions
1 Large can Diced tomatoes
1/2 lb Ground Buffalo
1/4 lb Chorizo Sausage
1/4 lb cubed beef (stew meat or similar)
3 Poblano Peppers
1 Anaheim Pepper
1 Jalepeno
2 T. minced garlic
5 T. Ground Cumin (or to taste)
Ground Chile Powder. (I don't use a premixed Chili powder like you find in the store, I go to the Mexican Food section and get one or two different types of ground chiles in those little packets. I think I use Chile California, and some other kind but I don't remember what it is called.)
Salt to taste

Soak the beans in a pot of water overnight. Rinse and sort to get rid of any stones or dirt. Cover in 2-3 inches of fresh water in a pot and bring to a simmer. Cook slowly for about 2.5-3 hours until beans are tender.

In the mean time, dice onion and all peppers into small squares. (Discard seeds) Put peppers and onion in a stock pot over medium/low heat, sautee vegetables in a bit of olive oil. Add garlic and a tablespoon of salt or so. At the same time, combine all of the meat in a skillet and cook over medium heat until everything is browned. Drain fat if necessary and set aside until ready to add to stock pot.

Add remaining spices to the vegetables. I guess about 2 T. each of the chile powders and 3-5 T. of the cumin is about right. I always just eyeball it and judge by color and smell.

Add the meat and tomatoes to the stock pot. Bring to a simmer. Taste after about 5-10 minutes of simmering and correct spices. Usually I find that there is plenty of heat and just need to add salt or cumin. Add the beans and simmer for at least another 15 minutes.

Total prep time = about 45 minutes. Total cooking time = about 1 hour or more. (Except for cooking the beans which takes longer. Use canned if you are in a hurry, but rinse all that goop off of them.)