View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: In anticipation of the end of mining after Party Beta takes effect

[ QUOTE ]
ok, i will change my statement to "if party wants observer mining gone, goddamnit they will make it infeasible and too much of a pain for 99% of players."

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that it matters. 90+% of the players don't mine anyway (the casual players). Of the 10% remaining, it only takes .1% of them with programming knowledge to decide to sniff the IP packets and write a program that mines on a and displays status on a separate system.

For serious 2+2 types, I doubt requiring a 2nd monitor and system to run mining software and have all the stats will deter them. All this work to prevent datamining really will have a minor impact, particularly if you count hands played.

Say:
90% of hands are by people who don't datamine
5% (the semi-serious players) will give it up
5% (the die-hards) will work around it with a 2nd system

Now, weight that by hands played, the die-hards play waaaay more hands than anyone else. The EXACT demographic that plays the most datamined hands won't be really affected.

So, all this effort only stops a fairly small percentage of played hands from using datamining help. Effort I'd much rather see spent on improved bot and collusion detection, or, god forbid, good customer service.