View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: THE ANSWER

I think you're complicating the issue immensely. The answer to the original question is obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
This means that if there is a God that will interact with humans in any way, he can't know the future unless he gives up his OWN FREE WILL. See why? Suppose he knows that he will part the Red Sea? If he is infallible in this ability, he can't change his mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont' follow this logic. A perfect being can choose all of his possible actions beforehand, assuming the universe is deterministic and there are no other free will agents. In fact, this is exactly what I'd expect a perfect being to do.
If there are free will agents, you're just restating the original question. I fail to see how this point adds anything.

[ QUOTE ]
But if you take away this power from him...it actually helps make many religious precepts acceptable

[/ QUOTE ]Depends greatly on the religion. If you combine this idea with an acceptance of evolution and the historical record of the earth/universe , then the whole idea of God creating this universe for people (or people being somehow special to God) becomes utterly absurd. As does the concept of Jesus dying to save our sins. I hardly see how this is making religious precepts more acceptable, unless you're talking about Buddhism.

Also, if you remove God's omniscience, you come up with the nasty little idea that God doesn't fully know what the consequences of his actions are.