Thread: QJ preflop
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: QJ preflop

[ QUOTE ]
This is 2-4. Not 15-30

There are not that many players that are 3-betting to isolate. IF you are one of those players, than you are the exception, not the rule. The 1 time in 10 that it does happen, oh well, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, I'd expect at least 1 player at any 2/4 table who will see the pattern & want to isolate with a pretty wide range of hands. I may be overestimating my opponents, tho.

At any rate, even if you can get away with raising hands like these from EP on 2/4 full, it's a very bad habit to get into. If you're that confident in your postflop ability and/or that disdainful of your opponents', you should be limping these hands from up front, hoping to get a big multiway pot going that you can drag whenever you hit the board hard. By raising with a hand like this from EP, you are basically relying on one of two things to happen:

1) You improve to the best hand in a short-handed situation.
2) You push your opponent off of what will mostly be a better hand through sheer aggression.

I would suggest that in scenario 1, while you're less likely to win with more opponents, when you do win it'll be a pretty huge pot. So it's up to you--a few extra small pots, or a couple of really big ones. As for scenario two, you are rarely going to push your average 2/4 calling station off of a made hand, or even A high, just by betting every street.

[ QUOTE ]
I moved to the 5-10 6 max games so keeping the 2-4 databse wasn't an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a 6max table, I will also open-raise these hands from UTG, most of the time at least.