Old 12-05-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Re: A Smart Christian

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tom Collins -
<font color="white"> .
</font>

There are no nominations for the Nobel Prize. Nice try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that sounded kind of funny. This is from the article. Looks like Somebody's off.

"Dr. "Fritz" Schaefer is the Graham Perdue Professor of Chemistry and the director of the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry at the University of Georgia. He has been nominated for the Nobel Prize and was recently cited as the third most quoted chemist in the world. "The significance and joy in my science comes in the occasional moments of discovering something new and saying to myself, 'So that's how God did it!' My goal is to understand a little corner of God's plan." --U.S. News &amp; World Report, Dec. 23, 1991. "

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically there are no nominations. But ANYONE can write a letter to the committee and call it a nomination. This happened with the Doctor that claimed Terri Schiavo wasn't braindead. Some Congressman "nominated" him for the Nobel Prize in Medicine, and Sean Hannity/etc... ate it up and always introduced him as a Nobel Prize Nominated. I might write a letter and nominate Sklansky, and he'll have the same credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

There actually is an official nomination process, with qualified nominators. usually about 100 - 250 people are nominated for each prize.

http://www.britannica.com/nobel/art/onobelp011a4.gif

http://nobelprize.org/chemistry/nomi...ominators.html
[ QUOTE ]

The Nominators – Chemistry

Right to submit proposals for the award of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry, based on the principle of competence and universality, shall by statute be enjoyed by:

1. Swedish and foreign members of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences;
2. Members of the Nobel Committees for Chemistry;
3. Nobel Laureates in Chemistry;
4. Permanent and assistant professors in the sciences of Chemistry at the universities and institutes of technology of Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway, and Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm;
5. Holders of corresponding chairs in at least six universities or university colleges selected by the Academy of Sciences with a view to ensuring the appropriate distribution over the different countries and their seats of learning; and
6. Other scientists from whom the Academy may see fit to invite proposals.

Decisions as to the selection of the teachers and scientists referred to in paragraphs 5 and 6 above shall be taken each year before the end of the month of September.

Prize-Awarder: The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm