View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: from an Ed Miller quiz...

I raise here, just because the better may not bet the turn, but may in fact be betting with a draw. I would hate to not have the chance to raise the turn. If they have a gutshot, they will call one bet on the turn. If the bettor has a strong enough hand to bet the turn after getting called, he probably would have gone for a check raise on the flop. Also, I realize the concept of 'you'll only get hands you want in there to fold' but I don't think it's that relavent here. It's unlikely the preflop raiser or cold-caller have a pair of twos, which would fold to your flop raise, and it's unlikely they have a 4, since there is only 1 left, and is small enough that a raiser and cold-caller wouldn't figure to have it. If they have a k, they will stay in on the flop even with the raise, likely making it 3 bets. A flop raise may get a gutshot to fold. Of course if you're pretty certain utg will bet again on the turn, due to pokertracker stats or the like, then wait until the turn, but I find this line from utg is often a draw that is trying to build a big pot on the flop, but slows down when it misses on the turn.