View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Should I have backed down?

This one had me confused. The opponent seemed to be a reasonable, maybe slightly too aggressive, player, hadn't really noticed anything too out of line to this point.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (6 handed) converter

Hero (t1710)
Button (t1705)
SB (t4195)
BB (t1800)
UTG (t3060)
MP (t2530)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t105</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t75.

Flop: (t225) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t225</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t900</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1125</font>, Hero ????

Here was my thinking:
AA, KK, QQ and JJ seem like unlikely holdings. AA is almost completely out of question, and of little concern since it likely ends in a chop anyways. None of the big hands make sense given the preflop action. Actually, I hope he happens to have KK or QQ here. I just don't think it makes any sense. JJ seems like the most likely of these, since some players don't like re-raising preflop with them, but a set of Jacks would usually come out firing with two flush cards down.

77 or 22 seems possible. Middle pair would possibly explain the preflop call followed by the flop action.

JTs, QJs, KJs, AJs are possibilities as well. They'd be worth calling preflop, and given reason for him to bet out on the flop. I don't think that any of these could explain the reraise though.

Two diamonds 10+ seem to fit the betting pattern decently. Worth calling, maybe trying to pump the draw on the flop before that scary third diamond comes. Again I can't reconcile this hand with the re-raise though.

Something in the back of my head is screaming SET, but the odd betting makes me scratch my head. Come out with 225, get re-raised 675 and come back raising another 225. I can't see putting this down with 2050 in the pot. So I start thinking call. The I think that the small reraise could indicate that he has something like TPTK and feels that I was trying to push him off the pot (I had gotten a decent run and had been throwing around some chips in recent hands). When I run down that possiblity and realize that after calling the 225 I have little reason to not see this down at any cost I'm thinking it's time to push.

Any thoughts would be appreciatted. I was rather lost on the proper way to play this hand.