Thread: Caro Article
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Caro Article

Psychology: The science that deals with mental processes and behavior.

If you can admit that certain behaviors can be quantified mathematically (every Psych major is required to take a statistics course these days), then why try to make the claim that no behaviors at the poker table can be quantified? I think it's obvious that they can be. Therefore, if we are mathematically quantifying different types of behaviors, we have an interplay between mathematics and statistics. I'm not talking about answers to the question of "What is the % chance I'll make my flush?" or "What is the pot laying me if I call all-in here?". I'm talking about a different form of mathematics useful in poker, especially NL, where you are mathematically modeling different players and modeling how they interact and behave with other types of players in different scenarios based on previous events, both long and short term.

Caro doesn't seem to acknowledge that such mathematical models even exist, and seems to mean the average ordinary straightforward mathematics involved in poker when he uses the term "mathematics" in that article.