View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: What good are we? As poker players, are we socially responsible?

Asking "What good are poker players to society?" is well intended but barking up the wrong tree.

The virtuistic view of our job largely defining our contribution to society is simplistic BS. Becoming a doctor doesn't automatically make you any better for society in general than becoming a poker player. That's because, although the work they perform can be extrordinary and they deserve a tremendous amount of credit for it, it's only a part of who they are and what role they play in life. They could in fact be pedophiles or child molesters, like we've found some priests are. In that case they are low lifes who just happen to be good at an important job, but should otherwise possibly be condemned to death for their acts.

My perspective is based on this. I was a fireman. Great job that's well respected. Got paid average money for taking big risks. I've been married over 20 years and raised 2 kids. I look at the brain surgeon and the school janitor the same way. If both of those men do their job as it should be done, and both of them do right by their family, friends and others, then they both deserve the same respect as men. Of course the brain surgeon can impact someone's life in a much more positive way, but that doesn't mean he's any better than the hard working, family man janitor. Or poker player. You have to do more in life than just have a good job to earn your respect as a man.

Earn your own keep. Don't steal. Don't mess up other people's lives. Try to have a positive effect on them and help them when you can. Be responsible for the ones who depend on you. In general, just be part of the solution rather than the problem.