View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Many Random Thoughts

I haven't read the mid limit book. Do you recommend it?

[ QUOTE ]
what NL book are you referring to?

Is it this one?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=books

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's the one.

I find that HoH works ok in low-buyin MTTs too, but the advice needs to be tempered. For one thing, a 3xBB PFR that's designed to get the pot HU often needs to be much larger than 3xBB. It depends on the table - sometimes 5XBB works, sometimes its as high as 10xBB. Every table and every opponent is different. I like using the early rounds to find out what works. Also observe the action in hands you're not involved in.

I pretty much never minraise. There is one exception: AA UTG. Other instances are me just mixing it up.

Something else that has taken a lot of effort for me to really understand: broadway cards (especially offsuit) are much less valuable in NL than they are in Limit. AKo is still a strong hand. But its not nearly as string in NL as in L. It has to be played accordingly.

Overvaluing broadway cards is actually the mistake I made that eliminated me in 11th place in the stars rebuy event. I had about 15xBB in my stack, OTB (I think). An EP player raised about 4xBB, all fold to me, I push. I did this for 2 reasons; first, I thought I could push EP off his hand and second, I thought if he called that I was no worse than 50:50 ish. EP calls & flips over AK. I don't improve, I'm broke. I way overestimated the value of KQ.

Something the Ciaffone book really drives home is that NL is a double-through game. You're looking to play pots where you have a good chance to double through your opponent. That's very not true in limit. In limit, you're trying to grind chips out of your opponent. The same rules of physics still apply. But now instead of building a bridge, you're building a car.