View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Jazz recommendations???

Here are a few guys I've been really enjoying listening to lately. They're not all strictly cool jazz players, but their music is instrumental and often laid back.

Oscar Peterson: a true virtuoso on the piano. His Night Train album is spectacular, and probably right up your alley. Dimenions is also great.

Jimmy McGriff: While technically a blues guy, his music is all instrumental surprisingly, and he has a lot of jazz sensibilities in his music. I recently purchased his McGriff Avenue and Straight Up albums, and I highly recommend them.

Gene Harris: Another piano legend. His Best of the Concord Years compilation is great, although there are a few lyrical songs on it. Black and Blue is another great one from him, in addition to a number of good live recordings. He's one at least one album with Ray Brown, one of the baddest bass players to ever walk the planet earth that's also solid.

Clark Terry: I was happy I picked up his Squeeze Me and Memories of Duke albums on a lark recently. He occasionally mixes in some vocals with his trumpet, but it's all in his distinctive "mumbles" scat style, not lyrical.

You might also look up the album where Duke Ellington and John Coltrane played together. It's a great mix of Ellington's unmatch compositional sensibilities and Coltrane's sax.