View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: An odd hand... JTc UTG

[ QUOTE ]
You're justing missing too much value if you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Deranged,

You talk a lot about all the missed value from the slowplay, but don't really defend these statements much. After all, if this is an action flop that players behind may well like a lot, and if the short stack is likely to try to get all-in with any piece, then a call leaves me with a fair chance of getting caught in the middle of a raising war, which is ideal since it allows me to conceal my strength while getting a great a better read on exactly what everyone holds. It also gives hands with no chance to beat me like Ax, Kxs, Qxs, any J or any T the opportunity to hang around and draw to what looks like ok odds but which in reality are drawing almost dead. A bare J, for example, is drawing to 3 outs for 1/2 the pot facing a flush redraw...

More importantly, playing it slower may allow me to get in a turn (or river) raise, instead of forcing everyone into check-call mode. If the BB has a big hand, he may 3-bet allowing me to cap the turn, etc. The lost bets on the flop are often recovered, with interest, on the turn.

In particular, I'm curious if you still believe that not capping the flop is a mistake. I'm sacrificing less than 1 SB in opponent donations while continuing to lie low and leaving my opponent with the initiative, which as we know encourages him to continue firing on the turn. As the turn card was being dealt, I was already licking my chops at the prospect of raising the turn, wondering whether or not I'd get the opportunity to cap it... oops.

-Eric