View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: $22 Bubble hand; Pre-flop play?

[ QUOTE ]
but he's in the bubble, if his opponent has ace/jack and calls, you're flipping a coin on whether to be the chip leader or finish just outside the money + the times he'll bust you with a better hand. Fold EQ is pretty good here but you could raise him with 23o and that'll still be true

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, you can't be petrified of the good end of a coinflip, even on the bubble. You're not CALLING here...you're re-raising all-in, putting the decision on your opponent (who likely has a worse hand than you AND who has a healthy stack that you cover - ie, he's also going to be scared of busting out to a larger stack and finishing 4th when he had so many chips). Because of that, your FE is quite high. Sure, you'd have the same fold equity with 32o...but not near the same showdown equity to go with it.

The chances he'll fold plus the chances he'll call with a worse hand (only four hands you're behind) plus the chances you can suckout even if he calls with a better hand all add up to a +EV push. I'm not asking you to guess what villain has...I'm asking you to make a decision based on what would be better for you if you found yourself in this spot 1000 times. If every time these particular circumstances were met you were to push, I believe you'd find yourself with more money than if you'd done something different.