View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Re: The Criterion Collection

The web page discussing the collection says that Beauty and the Beast is no longer in print. Shame if so, because it's one of the most sheerly fun movies I've seen. I'll have to check up for myself. It's amazing that good a movie could go out of print once it came in.

Thanks for the Dreyer recommendation -- I've always wanted to see that Joan of Arc movie by him; I understand the movie takes place almost entirely in close-ups, or at least that the close-up is really used powerfully in that film. I understand his other movies are good too, but I don't even remember what they are.

I'd also like to see some Ozu movies.

But I'll definitely be seeing those movies one at a time.

I did get Criterion's Grand Illusion, one of my big favorites, and enjoyed the package, especially Von Stroheim's writing about his relationship with Renoir. I also got but haven't watched yet Nights of Cabiria, another huge favorite, with just about my favorite ending shot in any film; L'Atalante by Vigo, whose other two movies I'd love to see but haven't(another Michel Simon favorite of mine); and hmm...well the name of the other one slips me now. I save up the really good ones for an evening where I want to sit down and really savor them, usually watch them twice. I've seen all those before, but they're worth seeing plenty of times.

I'd love to build up more classics. Criterion is prohibitively expensive though, so I stock up on those at a slow rate.