View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Micro expressions work! (long)

[ QUOTE ]
This is the first time I have ever had a 100% clear cut example of using micro expressions working. If you want to know more about them, google.com is your friend (hint hint, I am not posting links etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick, EXTREMELY basic primer on microexpressions:

The concept is that nonverbal communication pathways can take on many forms, but that most of these forms are subject to conscious control in one form or another, with one notable exception - the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) responses to stimuli can occur faster than conscious control can overtake the response pathway.

The trick is that these responses are immediate, subtle and almost instantly overtaken by conscious control.

Caro went through examples of these - things such as looking at chips after flopping a monster may indeed be related to SNS response. However, often the expressions will be considerably 'smaller' - as obscure as a brief twitch in the eye, or as obvious as a wince or frown.

In the psychology of nonverbal communication, microexpressions have long been considered strong indicators of natural response, and are one of the few that probably cannot be faked or eliminated completely.

I'm 100% sure this belongs in the 'Psychology' Forum - if anyone desires, though, I can link to some literature or provide some citations. It's interesting stuff, but its applicability to poker will vary wildly.