View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 04:52 PM

Default AK is the devil\'s hand

I'm in an afternoon tournament at the Taj. It's $50+$15 with 140 players. We are at level 7 (I think). 500/1000 blinds with 100 ante. I have about 9k in chips and am short stack at the table, after being beaten for my former 2nd place stack with AA vs. AJ where he goes allin on a KQ7 flop and hits a T on the river.

To the hand. I'm 3 off the button and have AKo. Table has been REAL tight, with most raises taking down the pot. I've got 3 of the top 5 chip stacks at my table with 37 players left. 18 pay. UTG and UTG+1 both call, which is very unusual. I just call, as I am hoping for more calls behind giving me great implied odds and a possible huge pot. Guy to my left calls. A middle stack goes all in for about 18k. 2nd largest stack in CO pushes. All fold to me. I think the middle stack is trying to buy it, and I think the big stack thinks that as well and could be pushing to get heads up with a LOT of hands.

What would you do here? Think about it before moving on...

I call, of course, thinking I have the best hand. I'm up against KK and AA respectively, of course. Do I hit my straight to make the luckiest killing ever? No. Looking back, I'm really wondering if I really should have called two allins. My reads had been pretty good most of the tournament, but this hand my reads were WAY off. Looking back at it, I think I should have folded knowing how tight the table had been...