View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: YOUR poker Story (So far)

I played poker for my first time over christmas break my senior year in high school (03-04). It was just a game with some friends for fun. I was instantly hooked. We would play 10$ tournaments with about 10-20 people once a week. This wasn't enough poker for me so I decided to put 50 dollars into party poker. I'd never read a book or anything else on poker. I got it up to 100 and quickly lost the rest in the next couple of days. I waited about a month to deposit my next 80 bucks. This time it went a little better. I got it up to 275 but then lost the rest in about 2 weeks playing SNGs. I really had no clue as to what I was doing, but I thought the game was awesome. At the beginning of my senior summer I put in another 50 bucks. I then proceded to get up to 250 playing SNGs and lose the rest. Deposited another hundred and got it all the way up to 922. Lost the rest of that in about 3 weeks. I finally decided to learn how to play and bought a few books by John Vorhaus. They weren't the types of books I needed to be reading, but I learned a little bit. I went off to college and made a few deposits into Paradise and won a couple hundred bucks then took that out and put 100 into party. I lost that playing 5$ SNGs. Then I read HPFAP and a couple other 2+2 books. This turned me into a decent TAG player. I had 100 more I was willing to put into my little poker dream for a long time. I got that hundred up to about 700 playin the same ole SNGs and took out about 200 bucks to play some live at a local underground club. I did okay at this place, but I knew I was a better online player. I withdrew another 500 from my 1700 roll online and played a good mix of live and online. This was all in about 2 months. In the next month online I played mostly 30$ and 50$ SNGs and pretty much broke even. I played in small buyin MTTs and was close to some huge wins a couple times. The third day home over Christmas break I came in 9th in a 20$ buyin MTT with about 900 people in it and you all know how much it sucks to finish around there in a MTT. I was pissed but hooked to MTTs. The next day I got TPFAP and played in 30$ MTT. There were 690 players and I won!! It was an incredible feeling. Over the rest of my break I playd 10/20 limit and the big MTTs. I was out of the money in all except my last one. It was a Super Thursday on party and I came in 10th. From there I played a lot of 1/2 and 2/5 live p.l. I did okay but I still couldn't adjust to the extremely weak play. Online I played in a bunch of MTTs as well as SNGs for the next two months. During those two months I started reading the 2+2 forums daily. Around March I began playing n.l. cash. I did really well right off the bat. I 4-tabled 100n.l. on party about 24 hours a week for about 6 weeks and won quite a bit. Around April I started playing 1/2 n.l. on party where I won close to 3k in a month or so. May 3rd was my first day of summer. I started off with about 3 days of 1/2 where I ran really well so I decided to move up once again. I've won around 13k playing 2/4 n.l. and MTTs on party in the past three weeks. This site has been a HUGE help to my poker game. Sorry this was so long an unorganized, but I wrote it as I was playing in a low buyin MTT.