Thread: TPLK in the BB
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 04:27 PM

Default TPLK in the BB

Here's one that always throws me:

Late in a tournament, blinds 300/600. 100 left to the money. Full table, multiple limpers to me in the BB, I have, say, Q 4 offsuit. Table is loose-passive PF, I think checking here is OK (?) I had been down to 150 chips at one point fairly recently, managed to claw my way back by playing pretty aggressively pre-flop and on the flop, I don't think I had a lot of PF folding equity here.

Flop is Q 6 8, with two of a suit (not any of mine)

Pot is 2400-ish.

I bet 1000, all fold to Villain, who thinks a bit and calls.

Villain has me out-chipped.

I think if he had a better Q or 2 pair he would raise here. He was fairly aggressive Post-flop if he had a hand and was trying to protect against a draw. So I'm thinking he was playing a flush draw.

Turn was a brick.

Pot is 4400-ish, I have 7000-ish

Push now or wait for river and check-fold if 3rd of suit shows, check-call if brick?

I pushed, he used his time bank and called with A 9 of suit. I guess I'm happy...my read was right, and he's definitely not getting the right odds to call.

I give him 12 outs, that's what, 3:1-ish against hand odds and 7:11 ish pot odds.

When playing against a bigger chip stack, this late in the game, should I be more concerned with survival or getting more chips?

Regards

Gar

PS apologies in advance if you think this is a bad-beat post, I think it's more of a, chit-happens, is there a better line? post.