View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: QJo EMP in a Tightish Game

The turn is the most interesting part of the hand. I think you have to ask yourself, 'why am I raising here?' If you raise you're doing it to knock him out or for value when he's behind. But if he reraises you that's a clear message that you're toast and you can safely fold. Raising costs you two bets when you're behind if you fold. When you're ahead and he calls you down you win one bet more than if you'd just clicked the call button. But if you make this play and call down when he reraises you, then you've paid off 4BB on a losing hand instead of two.
I think you only want to make this raise if in the situations that you're behind you have no outs. You have outs here, namely the 9 for the one card gutshot. I don't think you can call a Q an out since it will make AK very happy indeed.

And to all those people who blithly posted "fold preflop", did you read the original post? The OP clearly discribed why the table conditions were ripe for this sort of play. This is called switching gears and it's what the really good players do. Merely saying fold it because that's what a chart says without taking into consideration other factors isn't going to take you very far.