View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 07:25 AM

Default A hand from my first Party session

As the title suggests, I've recently made the move to Party after finishing off the Paradise deposit bonus. This is one of the more interesting hands I had.

My reads at this stage were not very good as I was still getting my bearings and getting used to the software. This was a beginner table, and I noticed that it was an odd mix of halway-decent players and the obvious begginers. The villan in this hand was fairly new to the table, but he bought in for 30 BB, which indicates to me there is at least some chance he might know what he's doing.

Preflop and flop are standard I think. I'm most interested in the turn and river play. See my comments after each street.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

When he raises me, I figure there's a good chance he's got Ax or 5x and so I 3-bet it. When he caps, I start to at least consider that he's got A5.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

I was thinking about check-calling from here, but decided that would be weak, so I bet for value. So, he raises and I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and raise for no good reason at all...he promptly caps. (thoughts?)

River: (14.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

The Kd is as good a blank as I can hope for as it doesn't complete any back-door straight or flush draw. I take a deep breath and evaluate where I'm at. I decide villan is either way overplaying his Ace, has a 5 with a lower kicker, or he's got 56 or A5 and I'm in trouble.

What line would you take on the river and why?

Final Pot: 14.50 BB