View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: What to do when you run bad???

I think we've all been in this situation a few times. Obviously bankroll and tilt management are crucial.
Thru having made some of the most common mistakes, I've developed my own management techniques.
Bankroll management: I NEVER keep any significant portion of my bankroll in my poker account. I've noticed the more money I have (especially after a good run) the more loose and carless I play. I tend to play my best when my backs against the wall and have been very successfull at building a bankroll out of next to nothing. (I turned 3 'free' $10 bonus' at empire into $650). I know the games I have the best edge in, and just pummel those games.
Titl management: I've found that the 300BB rule for bankroll mgmt is too low for me. The more a beat hurts my bankroll, the more it puts me on tilt. I want like 800-1000BB for any level, then the suckouts don't hurt as bad. Imagine losing a monster pot at .50/1 where your opponent hits his 2 outer on the river. If your bankroll is $1200, it's gonna affect you a lot less than if the same hand happens at a 2/4 game. I'm a big proponent of being OVER bankrolled, but not keeping it all in the site.

I also have the benefit of NOT being a full timer(I have a job as a musician that pays the bills and I enjoy very much), and poker is supplemental income and a fun hobby. Takes the pressure off, and I can't imagine how much more pressure I would feel if it was my sole income (and how much less fun I'd be having doing it.) Getting a job will do 2 things for u:
1) take the pressure off the poker income, thus making you more relaxed, and playing better.
2) get you AWAY from the tables for the bulk of the day. You'll probably spend a lot of time daydreaming about poker stuff, and that's good (for your game at least). Burnout is a real thing....it sneaks up on you and is BAD for your game, and ultimately, your bankroll.
Hope this helps.....it's worked for me and I've been where you're at more than once.
Best of Luck
REDDRED