View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: The Value of Human Life (a poll for BigSooner)

I agree that it would be very difficult (maybe even "nearly impossible") to objectively assess the situation if we were actually in it. But that doesn't preclude the possibility that there is indeed an objective answer to the question at hand. It may not even be possible for mankind, given its current state of knowledge, to get a very accurate answer. But we also don't have to throw our hands up and say that everyone's opinion is equally valid.

Many people are mistaken in their understanding of basic laws of physics or certain poker concepts. That doesn't mean that the laws or concepts are any less valid or applicable. It just indicates that is very difficult for the average person to wrap their mind around them.

My contention is that the scenario outlined is somewhat similar. The right thing to do would be to refrain from using the death ray, even though it would be very difficult for most people to actually do so because they would allow their emotions and personal interests to trump their concern for making a morally correct decision. And given the stakes at hand and the fact that many people would make what I believe is the morally wrong decision, that indicates to me that it is possible (indeed appropriate) to be lenient toward the person even though they end up doing something wrong.