View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: New to O/8 6max; comments and questions

I like both game types and play either 6-max or full tables depending upon my mood. Full tables are all about patience and starting hand selection. So when I feel like just sitting back and waiting patiently, I'll play the full tables and happily collect the limper's dead money as you said. The 6-max tables are more fun when I want to mix it up a bit. You can play looser, but don't go too crazy. Random mixes of high cards and middle cards, small/middle pairs, middle cards, etc. are all still junk. I like to play hands with any 2 or 3 wheel cards as long as it has some coordination going for it on the high side as well. I've found position is also more important in the 6-max games. If two players check it to you in LP, a bet actually has a decent chance at picking up the pot especially if high cards flop (This is rarely the case in a full game). Bluffing becomes a larger part of the game when it's obvious your opponents have missed their low draws. You can also push your lows/low draws harder to put the squeeze on the high hands. When it comes to shorthand poker, I actually prefer Omaha 8/b 6-max tables to the Hold'em 6-max tables. I've found that short handed Hold'em can become a pure aggression fest, whereas shorthand Omaha/8 has a more balanced mix of aggression/solid play. I'm not expert by any means, but I've enjoyed a decent level of success at the 6-max tables thus far.