View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 06:54 AM

Default Re: \"A Pair of Fours\" Again

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the river, again I think it was a no-brainer. You are only going to be called (or worst case scenario, raised) by a better hand. There is no use betting for value here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that the river's a no brainer. I think a pretty decent case can be made for value betting here because the pot is easily large enough to be called by an ace high, and the SB's preriver betting reeks of no pair (I would put him on a flush draw or JT most of the time). Basically, I would be trying to weigh the odds he had an ace high of some kind against the odds he paired the Q. It's a judgement call, but I tend to lean on the side of betting in these situations, just because they convince themselves to call so often when over 10BB are out there (and some opponents may even throw away a better hand here occassionally). Every now and then I need to remind myself that I am supposed to lose 40-45% of the time they call my bet in this situation (last to act after your lone opponent has checked the river), otherwise I am leaving some money on the table.