View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 04:37 AM

Default Re: \"A Pair of Fours\" Again

It really must have been famous - I don't know if you saw, but this hand even made it into Gary Carson's poker book, and he feels you played the hand very well.

I think the only troubling area is the flop call. Obviously if the button raises behind you, your odds are crushed and the call becomes incorrect. You use a lot of what-ifs to counterbalance this possibility, but conveniently exclude other what-ifs like:

1. Someone has already flopped a set.
2. Someone will make a flush or straight and outdraw you even if you spike a 4.
3. It will get raised from the button, and reraised from the small blind, rendering your small bet completely wasted.
4. You'll get tied into trying to win the pot outright, and end up losing.

Additionally, you say the button might raise, and buy both of you free cards, but what if other players don't cooperate on the turn?

Those are my thoughts. All other aspects of the hand seem solid to me, but if an expert told me the flop call was incorrect, I would be hard pressed to argue against him because you don't close the action (and in particular the preflop raiser is yet to act), and the listed issues double as extra reasons to err on the side of caution and fold.

IMO, the flop call is marginally wrong, but wrong none the less.