View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Navy Seals vs Army Rangers vs other special forces vs UFC

Brom,

We seem to be arguing in circles here, let me try and clarify. I have 2 basic points

1. I think UFC rules structurally advantage a certain style of fighting, i.e. the arm bar style UFC pit/groundfighting discussed here, that would be much less effective with no rules. They work primarily becuase the quickest, most lethal attacks (eyes, groin, throat, back of the head by the RAC) are prohibited, allowing them to set up the move. Even though they can set it up in a manner of seconds, I don't think they could do it fast enough vs. unrestrained retaliation.

2. I think you all are (A.) Underestimating the amount of unarmed combat training seals recieve, (B.) Overestimating the amount required to be effective. UFC fighters train for a particular style of fighting, seals train for another. As an analogy (admittedly an imperfect one), you take the most badass K1 kickboxer in history and put them in a UFC match where now holds/grapling is involved, and they dont fair well. Put someone who has been training in submission moves against someone trained to kill in a death match and I think you'd see something similar.