View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 03:55 AM

Default Re: PokerAce Heads Up Display - Version 0.27 Released

[ QUOTE ]
Would you mind making a post explaining just what the beef is with the previous PT method of calculating aggression, and how the new formula addresses it? I never really understood what was deficient about the 'old' way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me try to help. People have complained of two problems with 'Aggression Factor' as defined by PT:

1. If a player sees 100 flops, bets 10, calls 2 and folds the rest (88) his PT Aggression Factor (AF) is 5.00 which would appear that he is aggressive. I personally wouldnt call a player that only bets 10 of 100 flops aggressive.

2. A lot of people have complained that AF does not account for a users VP$IP. They state that a user who sees 40% of the flops should be betting less and calling more than a user who sees 20% of the flops.

PokerAce and myself have come up with a formula that includes all the variables that aggression factor uses but also takes into account the frequency of their aggression. Hence the name. The aggression frequency is based on a scale of 0 - 100. 0 meaning bets the least and 100 meaning does nothing but bets. This solves #1 listed above but not #2. In #1 above, the user's aggression frequency would be:

10 + 0 / 10 + 2 + 88 = 10 which would indicate that he isnt frequently aggressive.

We believe aggression frequency can help us narrow down the cards that a player is betting with. The user described above, with an aggression frequency of 10 is obviously only betting TPTK (if that) and better.

Aggression frequency does not do anything for problem #2 described above. Why? Well, I did an in-depth study that looked at the correlation between aggression frequency vs bb/100 and aggression factor vs bb/100. In BOTH cases, the optimum aggression (frequency & factor) was nearly identical for tight players, slightly loose players and loose players; therefore, I do not believe #2 is really a problem at all. While it is seems logical that a tight player should have a higher Aggression frequency and aggression factor the numbers do not back the claim up.

Overall, I believe that Aggression frequency is the better of the two stats. Not only is it more indicative of what I perceive as aggression, it should also help us better narrow down potential holdings of the player betting the street.

I hope that helps you understand the situation a little better. If you or anyone else has any questions or comments, I would be more than happy to respond.