View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Why Should I Raise?

I'll take a crack at it.

1. While AKs is a clear equity favorite over a bunch of loose callers, it may not be as big a favorite as you think. In EP, letting in a bunch of loose callers behind you is good the times you end up winning the hand, but is bad when you make a pair and have to pay off some weird holding that flopped something unexpected. It's also bad when you miss and can't win the hand unimproved because everyone is still in. A hand like this has terrible reverse implied odds, so I want to put the money in as a favorite before the flop.

2. I don't think AJs is a good enough hand to want tons of callers. Is it an equity favorite? Yes. Does it play well after the flop? Usually not, especially if you haven't taken the lead. You can play this hand like a suited connector or low pair, but I think it has more value limiting the field for its high card strength.

3. I agree allowing the blinds to overcall may occasionally (or often in the right game) be the best move. The problem is that after the flop it's likely to go check- check- bet- raise- fold- fold- call anyway, so you're basically giving the blinds good odds to outflop you or make an easy fold. I'd rather greatly increase my chances of winning the pot while getting in almost the same amount of money preflop, especially in a situation where your three bet looks like a common isolation move that can get you action from a worse hand while limiting risk.