Thread: Katrina
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Katrina

I know this has nothing to do with the WPT but it has to do with our neighbors.

I had a hard time starting this thread because I'll probably get some of the jerks around here telling me I started this so people will tell me how nice I am. That isn't the case. I'm starting this to promote thought and maybe people can help out.

I live in Memphis Tn. and everywhere I go there are Louisiana and Alabama license plates. I heard on the radio these people are not allowed to go home until next Monday. Then it's only with I.D. and only to get clothes etc. Then they must leave again for 1 month.

I wanted to do something besides donate to the Red Cross. I wanted to be able to see the face of someone I help. I thought maybe buy a tank of gas or buy dinner for someone. I went to dinner and saw some La and Ala license plates but they weren't wearing nametags!!

After dinner I went to a gas station and there were some pretty big lines for fuel. I saw a female with La plates and asked the dumb question "Are you up here because of Katrina?" She said yes and went straight into about how she just found out today they lost everything but that her father and brother were ok.

I told her I wanted to pay for a tank of fuel for her. She didn't look poor like it meant she was going to eat that night or anything. But her eyes just started to water up like she was going to cry. I explained that my wife and I wanted to do something for people like her and didn't know exactly what to do. She said it made her day and it certainly made me feel great.

So if you know someone who's in need you might want to help. I plan on going back and doing this a couple more times over the next few days. Now I'm not rich I just want to help. For those of you that know me and trust me to do what I say feel free to PM me. If you want to help me financially speaking then maybe we can do this quite a bit more over the next month.