View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Cause or effect? VPIP sliding

I think we're starting down a tangent, but I'm going there anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
hmm, I would think that 16/8 would require less postflop skill - your postflop errors are compensated for by your larger preflop edge when you do play.

[/ QUOTE ]

16/8 requires less postflop skill than 18/10 or higher. However, as internet full rings games tighten up (as all the loose idiots run to the action 6-max games), I don't expect 16/8 to be very profitable anymore (I doubt it will be *un*profitable -- just quite a bit less profitable). You're losing your preflop edge because the average player is getting tighter preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
with a looser style, you're in more marginal situations that you can play skillfully into a higher winrate, or you can bury yourself. for those people who can play that extra X% profitably, then you gotta play them. I certainly wasn't arguing that people should forego +EV situations to preserve variance. those arguments are all BS anyway [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I was just saying that those situations are +EV for fewer players than we might think, and for those players they gotta be 16-17/7-8 while you learn the basics.

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree on this 100%. 16/8 is all about mastering the basics.