Thread: Betting Pattern
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Betting Pattern

After I check raise the turn with TPTK or an overpair and then get my bet raised on the river, it seems 1 pair is almost, well, pretty much, never, good. Yet I usually pay off here. Thoughts? On the one hand, I'm sure I'm right to bet out in these situations, even with an always paying off strategy it shows a healthy profit -- but my profit is pretty darn nil whenever a second bet goes in, obviously eroding the first bet's value.

EG. 2 limpers. I raise from the SB with AA, BB and rest call.

Flop is Q 5 4 with two spades. I bet, BB raises, one cold caller, I call.

Turn is 9. I check. BB bets, other folds, I raise, he calls.

River is a 6 and the third spade. I bet. BB raises. I call. Seems to me I get shown a flush, two-pair or a straight everytime that second bet goes in. Yet I call. Has the call ever dragged the pot. Yeah. Though I can't tell you last.

I guess, my question is, are these routine folds or not? Mixed in with caution. Or not worth stewing over. You don't have to call a raise that is made knowing it will be called, but if you do fold, then it's no longer the case that the raise is made knowing it will be called...

And then there's the case where you get check-raised on the river after having raised the turn.