View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: How much to raise with 1500 stacks?

A line you may want to consider is "calling for value." I'm not suggesting that you have to do this, or that if you decide to take this route, but the bet is so large that it doesn't make sense but to just move in or fold, then do so. What I'm getting at is two things.

First, many times you're going to have the best hand here. Q9 just pairs one card, and he donkishly calls your allin, or folds. But he's juiced the pot for you preflop. This is what makes raising the flop profitable for you.

Second, sometimes villain will hit a strong hand, more likely a set. And you lose all your chips to him. It happens sometimes. But sometimes, it will feel like it happens too often. You will go on streaks like this sometimes.

Anyway, remember, poker is about winning in the end, not winning the most hands. Pushing, check-folding, check-calling for value are all reasonable lines here. You need to find what works best for you. Each of these has their benefits. I'd say pushing has the potential to increase your $/hr, while the checking route has the potential to increase your ROI.

Scuba