Thread: AK flop play
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: AK flop play

[ QUOTE ]
Calling sucks. You're gonna face a big bet on the turn and miss over 2 out of 3 of them.

I'd make it 700 and push any turn. I think you have (slightly) more FE that way than with an outright push.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're one of the posters on here whose advice I greatly respect. But I'm not so sure I agree with you on this one.

First off, let's assume that hero is up against a set or a straight. He needs to hit the flush to win, and let's go ahead and assume that he needs to hit it on the turn since he will likely be driven out by a huge bet from villain if a non-flush card hits. And just for the sake of argument, let's say villain won't give him any more action if a flush card hits, so there are no implied odds. Hero does have the pot odds to just call (getting 4.5:1 on a 4:1 shot). If villain has an overpair or is bluffing, then we can count the Ace and King as outs too so his odds become even better. And if you factor in implied odds plus the chance that he won't face too large of a bet to stay around on the turn if he misses, the numbers become even better. Clearly, calling is +EV. I don't know if it is as +EV as raising, but I do think calling is a viable option here. Whether it is the prefered option is a matter of opinion I guess, but I don't think that it sucks.